Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One of my favourite things: Protein powder!

I'm sure I've told you guys before that I'm a HUGE fan of protein powder. It's the best thing I've ever come across, because I am not a huge chicken or beef fan. I will eat meat sometimes (mostly if someone else cooks it) but I'm just not into it. Obviously, protein is very important for many reasons, so I get my fill from eggs, beans and protein powder.

The most refreshing breakfast ever for me is a protein shake blended with frozen berries. It's so filling and wakes me up because it's nice and cold. I also make a few different protein shakes for dessert sometimes, because it's nice to have something sweet after dinner and it's a lot better than cookies. My husband always, always wants cookies so if I make him one of these he will stop asking for cookies. Usually. Also, I must say: For protein shakes, you cannot beat the convenience of a Magic Bullet. I bought one maybe six months ago and we use it constantly.


A few of my favourite shakes are: 

Matcha: Milk, Ice, vanilla protein powder, 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
Berry Shake: any kind of frozen berries, vanilla or chocolate protein powder, milk (no ice needed)
Pumpkin Pie: Ice, canned pumpkin, vanilla protein powder, 1 packet Splenda or Truvia
Coffee Shake: cold coffee, milk, vanilla or chocolate protein powder, ice (chocolate makes it more mocha) 
Cookies and Creme: Ice, milk, protein powder, 100 calorie packet of Oreo crisps. (This is a little higher in calories altogether but a delicious mostly clean treat.

My newest discovery is the Frozen Hot Chocolate Protein Shake!! I buy the Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate packets from the states, they have like 25 calories per packet. Mix some vanilla protein powder, ice, and milk. Soooo good! 

 *When I say milk, I use skim milk or Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk which only has 40 calories per cup. I also don't ever measure protein shakes, I sorta experiment each time to see what tastes better.

I posted the recipe for Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars before, and now I've discovered a new protein baked treat: Kristine Fretwel's Lemon Poppyseed High Protein Muffins.


Make sure you check out Kristine's blog, Busy But Healthy for tons of great healthy info and recipes! I'd love to know: what's your favourite thing to do with protein powder?

xoxo,
T

6 comments:

  1. It's soooo funny that you just posted about this because I was literally just talking to my friend yesterday about how I've started drinking a protein shake in the mornings before my workout (I went and bought a huge container of chocolate protein powder from Costco for only $23!). I've been making the berry shake because I went blackberry picking a ton last summer and now my freezer is full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got one from Costco too! Such a good deal!! The blackberry shake sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the shake sounds lovely !
    i would love for you to check out my blog and tell me what you think
    Ashley
    http://wise-rabbit-says.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas. Look forward to trying them out and incorporating the protein powder. How many "protein" shakes do you consume in a day between the morning shakes and after work out shakes?

    http://ellelynne.blogspot.com
    http://the--arnolds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of thanks for the sharing beautiful contents but I want to try losing weight can I Eat protein shake.

    ReplyDelete