Monday, March 21, 2011

Clean Eating

One of the biggest struggles most people, myself very much included, is the eating aspect of getting or staying in good shape and at a healthy weight. What do I eat? How much? At what times?






The best solution is different for everyone. You can always follow the Canada Food Guide, since they revised it in the past few years and now it makes much more sense. You can try to follow what your body wants and needs. Some people love a glass of low fat milk with their breakfast, and some people can't have a drop of dairy. Some people are vegetarians, or vegans, or eat meat every single day. How do you know what's best for you?




One of the best information sources out there that I've found is the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. It's so simple and easy that you could just read the title and find out what it's all about.


EAT CLEAN!


Every time you lift food to your mouth, you can ask yourself if it's clean or not. Donut? Nope . Can of soup? Nope . If you bought the ingredients in the outer perimeters of the grocery store and are now standing in your kitchen assembling your meal, you are definitely on the right track! Why those areas of the grocery store? That is where you will find fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and dairy! Of course there are exceptions, I buy frozen veggies as well and canned tomatoes and things like that. The Eat Clean Diet is based on those food groups. For some reason, this way of eating really clicked with me. I realised that all my favourite foods could be "cleaned-up" to the point where they weren't bad for you! I used to be a white pasta/carb-loving queen. Now, every once in awhile, I'll make a "cleaned-up" whole wheat pasta dish that's satisfying without being heavy.


The other aspect of this way of eating is to avoid processed foods as much as possible. They always contain evil chemicals, trans fats, and other unidentifiable ingredients! Sugar is such a big subject when it comes to eating healthy it could probably have it's own post. I find for me personally, it's just better if I avoid it. It makes you hungry, it makes you gain weight, and it makes you want more, more, more sugar! There are ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without the white stuff.




I'd like to leave you with some info so if you'd like, you can research clean eating. There are some great resources on the web if you aren't sure if you'd like to invest in one of the books. I highly recommend the books because Tosca has an amazing story that most of us can relate to.
First of all, check out www.eatcleandiet.com Find the Kitchen Table, an online community where people can share their goals, struggles, before/after pictures, and recipes!




www.cleaneatingmag.com is the website for Cleaning Eating Magazine, a publication that's growing more and more popular. I believe it started out as a Nutrition Special for Oxygen Magazine and grew into it's very own magazine. The publisher of both magazines is Robert Kennedy, who is Tosca Reno's husband! They are a very fit and healthy couple!


I really hope you'll check this awesome approach eating and living out, it's helped me to understand the healthiest way to eat!

Taren

No comments:

Post a Comment