Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Skinnytaste's Potato Leek Soup

Soups to me, are so vital to my life when it comes to eating healthy. Some people may not feel the same way, but for me, soup helps me stay on track. Why? How else can you get that many veggies in, fill up, and eat something delicious? Exactly. Plus, on a rainy day like yesterday/today/every day in Vancouver, it's just cozy and nice.

Sigh. I just love soup.

A little awhile ago, I came across a healthy eating recipe jackpot, also known as Skinnytaste. My new healthy recipe guru's name is Gina, and she's awesome. Her recipes make me drool, and they're not even fattening! I truly believe the key to eating healthy is just to find healthy things that you like to eat. For instance, if you showed me a plate of vegetables, I would be like "Blech!" Yet if you showed me a bowl of vegetable soup, I would be like "Hand that over!" For some reason I like my veggies soft and liquid and sometimes hidden. Kind of like a three year old.

Anyways, back to Skinnytaste! This website is so great, it has all my favourite recipes gone all healthy! Yesterday, I was in a soup mood, but a different kind of soup. I wanted to venture out a little bit into something new. I made Gina's Potato Leek soup. It was really yummy!! Make sure you guys go check out her fantastic site for more kickass recipes!

                                                Potato Leek Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch leeks (about 4) dark green stems removed
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 4 cups fat free chicken stock (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • salt and fresh pepper
Instructions:
Wash leeks extremely well, then chop them up!

In a medium soup pot, melt butter and add flour on low flame. Use a wooden spoon and mix them. Gina says this will thicken your soup and give it a wonderful flavor.

Add chicken stock, leeks, onion, potatoes and bring to a boil.

Cover and simmer on low for about 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are soft.

Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth adding the milk and adjusting salt and pepper to

taste. Serve immediately.


Enjoy!

Taren

4 comments:

  1. This soup looks great! I NEEEED to get into clean eating! Skinnytaste~ never heard of it. Thanks for sharing!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not a chef but I LOVE potatoe leak soup. So glad you stopped by my blog! i think it's so cool you're trying to be a personal trainer - SO NEAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup sounds delish! It was raining earlier, and this soup would have been perfect!

    ReplyDelete