Monday, May 2, 2011

Something Borrowed

When you read as much as I do, you won't always remember all the books you read and what they were about. Usually I'll just remember if I liked it or not. However, some books stand out forever. The type of books I read the most, usually called "chick-lit" is a large genre, there are tons of books and new ones coming out all the time. Every once in awhile I will find an amazing gem that's so rare and wonderful I will read it over and over again. It is comforting to me, like my favourite pair of PJS or my mac and cheese recipe.

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin is one of those books that blew me out of the water. It was her debut novel, and I'd borrowed it from my friend Jen. It has a cover that was clearly designed to appeal to lovers of the chick-lit genre:


Here is the blurb from Emily Giffin's website:

Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancé. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.


Now...the book has been adapted into a movie! Note I use the word adapted. I am not one of those people who thinks the book should be exactly like the movie. I'm not going to be mad that Darcy has blonde hair, instead of being a brunette in the book. Books have to be changed in order to make good movies. But I always thought that it would make an amazing movie and I can't wait to see it! It opens Friday, May 6th!

See the preview below!


Who has read the book and what did you guys think of it?

xoxo,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment