Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cabo, Christmas and Chili

Unfortunately sharing my photos from this trip seems to be not happening until I get back. Oh, well, it will give me more to post when I get home. This trip is a blast so far, the resort is amazingly beautiful. I actually love the decor, I feel like it´s up to the minute and I love it. The food..oh my god the food. Unbelievable. I haven´t tasted things like this in my entire life. I used to be the pickiest eater ever, ordering plain spaghetti in restaurants. Something has changed, I am eating things I don´t even normally like and loving them. Like tomatoes, I never ate them before this trip and I love them here. So weird!
We went across the street to this little mall this afternoon, it has a Starbucks. It totally threw me off seeing all the Christmas decorations in Mexico. I couldn't believe it was November before I left and now its Christmas in Mexico. I am suntanning in Cabo with a frozen drink and thinking about where I am going to put my Christmas tree.
It gave me an idea for my post today, since I am photoless. I made this chili the other day and I LOVED it. I am actually craving it so I will make it when I get home. Thankfully I had it in my email so I can share it with you guys. Its based off the fast food Wendy's chili which freaked me out. Apparently they use actual hamburgers chopped up in their chili. Obviously you can use fresh ingredients to make it better! I added a little scoop of fat free sour cream and reduced fat cheddar and it was amazing. This chili is a little more soup like than really chunky which is how I like it.


Homemade Chili


1 qt. tomato juice 
1 (29 oz.) can tomato puree 
1 (15 oz.) can red beans, drained 
1 medium onion (1 1/2 c.), chopped 
1/2 cup celery, diced 
1/4 cup green pepper, diced 
1/4 cup chili powder 
1 tsp. cumin (if you like real flavor, add more) 
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 
1 tsp. salt 
1/2 tsp. black pepper 
1/2 tsp. oregano 
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper 

In a frying pan, brown the ground beef; drain. Put the drained beef and the remaining ingredients into a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot; let it simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.



Enjoy!


xoxo
Taren

No comments:

Post a Comment