Thursday, April 5, 2012

Defining Moments and Donut Meltdowns

Yesterday was a physically hard day. I did my morning cardio at the gym and had my food in the fridge there. Of course I totally spaced and forgot it there and went off to work. So my day was a little off. I still stuck to the plan, I had protein powder in my bag and grabbed some grilled chicken and salad from a nearby restaurant.
Because I didn't have my food and supplements with me, I felt quite off.
So later on, I went to meet up with my girlfriends for an Ikea trip, I decided I needed a coffee. I decided to go inside and order because the drive thru at this location of Tim Hortons was a weird angle and I'm always worried I'm going to wipe out a mirror or something with my luck.

This is where I had my mini-meltdown. Don't worry, it was only on the inside. I was so sleepy and for some reason the person in front of me's order was taking sooo long. So I had plenty of time to look at all the carb-ey stuff in the display case. Keep in mind my diet is QUITE low carb at the moment.

So I'm waiting in the line, and I notice they have my absolute favourite donuts, (Strawberry Vanilla, with sprinkles) the best bagels ever (asiago and sundried tomato) AND my favourite potato bacon soup. STILL waiting to order my coffee. It was TORTURE. I wanted to scream "I just want my freaking coffee with Splenda, let me outta here!!"

Finally I got my coffee, and got the hell out of there. Don't get me wrong, I thought about cheating. I thought about how I'd just worked out and what harm would a little donut do. I was thinking about it and this is what defines how we diet these days. We are faced with temptation when we don't expect it and we either stay strong or give in. Don't get me wrong, I think if you love donuts, you should have them once in awhile for a treat. A few of my cheat meals have ended in driving to the one and only Krispy Kreme in the lower mainland with my hubby. Like I've said before, having them planned out makes me not feel guilty for indulging. If I were to give in on my non-planned cheat day and scarf down a donut in the car, I would feel guilty and crappy no matter what way I played it in my head.

So I guess the moral of the story is, try to avoid temptation if you want to stay on track. I know I'll be using the drive thru for my coffee from now on. If I can't see the donuts and bagels, I won't even think about them. Why make life harder on myself? I'm learning what triggers me and it helps a lot. You can read all the books you want but you need to find out how your body works and what works best for you. What triggers your cheating?

Make it worth it!!

xoxo,
Taren

No comments:

Post a Comment