Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner

I never did end up making a "summer bucket list" this summer like I did last year but one thing I never got to do last year is watch a movie in the park. I always saw this in movies and never realised they actually did it, but in Vancouver this has become a huge thing. The one movie I definitely wanted to see was Dirty Dancing. Not only did the idea of watching a movie outside totally appeal to me, it's one of my favourites and I haven't watched it in years. So Hilary and I decided it was worth doing, even though she went last summer.



Although getting to the park in Vancouver and finding a parking spot was near impossible and Hilary and I nearly gave up and went to dinner instead, I'm so glad we went because it was a really cool experience. There's something so peaceful about being cuddled up in a big blanket (this particular blanket had Beauty and the Beast characters all over it courtesy of Hilary) under the stars watching a great movie.


I have never been able to get Leigh to watch this movie. He thinks it's lame and also I think he thinks it's a musical. It occurred to me that movies these days just try so darn hard. This movie might not be academy award worthy but it's simple and fun and I loved watching it in the park.



Some tips for outdoor movie watching:
  • get there ridiculously early. Like hours. We arrived an hour before the movie started and thankfully we got a decent spot but parking was insane.
  • bring chairs. It's so much more comfy and everyone else has chairs so you can't see over them if you don't have them. Side note, the people behind us got super pissed that we sat in front of them with chairs, but literally everyone around us had chairs so I tried not to let it bother me, thankfully they left us alone once the movie started.
  • bring a big ass blanky you can wrap around yourself, because it gets cold! No mosquito though which was awesome.
  • don't be an asshat like me and charge your phone so you have something to do while you wait and also so you can take pictures!
  • bring snacks unless you want to pay movie theatre prices for ok food. Next time Hilary and I are bringing a gourment picnic basket with brie and stuff because we're fancy.


All in all, even though it can be a giant pain, it's still such fun and summery activity, you should definitely try it at least once if you haven't already!




No comments:

Post a Comment