Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken

It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe on here, so here goes!
I actually caught this on Facebook the other day and saved it to a document so I didn't lose it. Anything that's this easy is good in my books! I got 5 servings out of this, but I didn't weigh or measure the servings. This was soooo good!! Leigh and I are so chickened out over here but this was amazing. I served it over brown rice. It would probably also be delicious as lettuce wraps!


Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken

  • 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 4 tsp cornstarch
  • sesame seeds for garnish
  1.  Put salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken, place in crock pot. Put the chopped onions over the chicken. I skipped this part because Leigh hates onions, it tasted fine without.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together honey, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, oil, and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. 
  3. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or High for 1.5-2.5 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and you can shred it easily. 
  4. Take the chicken out of the crock pot but leave the sauce
  5. Dissolve the cornstarch in 6 tbsp water and whisk into the sauce. Cook on high for 10 more minutes until the sauce has thickened a bit.
  6. While the sauce is thickening, shred up the chicken.
  7. Return it to the pot to toss with the sauce to coat the chicken. 
  8. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
Make It Lighter:

I may attempt to make this recipe a bit more healthy, but one way you can cut calories is simply to limit the sauce. You could take a chicken serving and take out 1 or 2 tbsp of sauce and mix together so you aren't overdoing it with the sauce. I also may try using a bit less honey.

Let me know if you try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment