Thursday, July 3, 2014

How I Learned How to Curl My Hair!



As most of you probably know, my sister is a hairdresser, which means whenever I have an event I go see her and she'll make me pretty and curl my hair. Curling my hair is something I've always wanted to know how to do myself, but the times I've tried it's never looked right or even presentable sometimes.

I love being pregnant, but it does kind of limit how good you can look.  You're not going to look fit in anything, so that's out the window.  You can attempt to put on a cute outfit but even then you end up wearing the same few outfits all the time. I put more effort into my makeup since I'm pregnant, but I thought it would be the perfect time to FINALLY learn how to curl my hair so I could vary my look a little and at least look good from the neck up. Or maybe boobs up. Anyways...

The first thing I did was take my curling iron that I've had for years (and used like three times) to my husband and ask him to remove the clamp, turning into a curling wand. I've heard these are a little bit easier for amateurs to use so I thought I'd give it a shot. If you have a functioning non pregnant brain and a screwdriver, you can probably do this yourself, or you can buy a curling wand from Target.

Then I asked the internet why my hair always looks like crap when I curl it. This is what I discovered I was doing wrong:

1: After washing your hair (which I only do right before bed), don't just pass out with it still wet. Blow dry it out nicely so it's all smooth. This will result in a much smoother less frizzy base to start with.

2. Point the curling iron DOWN. For some reason it never occurred to me that it mattered which way you point the curling iron.  The one thing I DID know about curling hair is you generally want to curl it away from your face unless you want a Shirley Temple look.

3. This is the biggest, most helpful tip EVER and why my hair always looked so bad when I curled it. When you wrap a section of hair around the curling iron, do not twist it at all, make sure it's smooth and FLAT against the curling iron! It actually makes a perfect curl!

The best part is, the day after my hair is curly, I can put it up in a ponytail, and use my fingers to kind of twirl the curls all together to make a cute curly ponytail which is perfect for work!

I can't wait to play around with it more and see what else I can do. Next up, beach curls!





No comments:

Post a Comment