Monday, September 8, 2014

Grateful


Whenever something in my life goes south, I usually call my mom. Which is funny, because she only lets me whine for a minute. One of her signature comebacks is asking me to name ten things I'm grateful for. I sometimes get annoyed at this. Why? Because it's human nature to wallow, and by the time I'm done naming ten things, I am usually already feeling way better and I can't wallow anymore.

Lately I've been feeling like I'm focusing on the wrong things. Having a baby is a huge deal, buying an apartment is a huge deal, so things are naturally overwhelming for Leigh and I at the moment. But everything always works out, you just gotta get through the stressful moments, and being grateful is the way to do it. I thought about starting a gratitude journal (again) and then I realized I was just looking for a reason to hit up the Target stationary section. Then I thought, what if I collect them in a blog post instead? So this is my grateful list for the last week:

*I am grateful for my mom, because this morning she made me coffee and breakfast and helped me put my head back on straight.

*I am actually super grateful for both sets of our parents because they have both helped us so much in getting where we want to be. My mom, my dad, my mother in law and father in law are all supportive and each help us in their own ways. We are so lucky to have parents like them.

*I am grateful for my whole support system. I have so many friends and family that are there for me in so many ways, especially with being pregnant. They have been putting up with my craziness which is increasingly more crazy lately :-P

*I am grateful for coffee and tacos.

*I am grateful our our little (growing) family:  me, Leigh, Layla and soon our little daughter. Just thinking about us all being together is more than my hormonal little preggo brain can handle and I may have had a little happy cry on the way to work this morning.

*I am grateful for our medical system. It's complicated, I know and there's always something to complain about but the way I see it, if you need to have a baby or are sick and need treatment, you can go get it and not have to worry about a several thousand dollar bill on top of whatever else you are going through. At this point in my life, this means so much to me.

*I am also grateful to be in the care of 3 amazing midwives.

*I am grateful for my beautiful bump. Even though I can never quite wrap my mind around the fact there is a mini human in there, I love my bump and the thought of carrying said mini human around with me. I am grateful for my healthy pregnancy and healthy baby.

*Speaking of my work, I am grateful for my schedule. It's not always convenient but I am grateful for the rest periods in between work/clients. I can go home, relax, eat meals at home and go back to work. Right now, it's perfect

I tend to get so caught up in the wrong things (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) so sometimes it's so nice to just sit back and realise that I have everything I need in this moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment